It’s so annoying scrolling down pinterest and seeing health bloggers on their high horse acting like it’s so simple to just eat an all healthy diet and whatever method they’re using is definitely going to work for everybody.
And then they wanna tell you crazy things they do like cutting out dairy, gluten, sugar, water, air, life….I mean that’s really how appealing it sounds. I completely get that not everybody has time to make every single meal from scratch and not everybody has the budget to keep the ingredients they use as healthy as possible. Ain’t nobody got no time for that.
So if you are a normal human being, you are not ready to throw out all your cookies or surrender your diet to the produce section, but still kinda wanna try this whole new year new me stuff. Well…you came to the right place! Tips for a healthier diet and life (no unicorn tears or placenta required!)
10 Easy Ways To Get Healthier This Year
- I know it gets busy and I know it is sometimes 100% necessary to eat out. Life gets crazy! Despite what many health blogger want you to think about them, they all probably have grabbed a big mac here and there! BUT when you find yourself having to resort to fast food, the one thing I always make sure to do is get a water. Skip the soda. Yup. That’s the whole tip. Think about how much less sugar you will have consumed in your lifetime if you will have just cut soda out at the drive thru! I’m not even saying all soda. But just keep at the little things and you are doing so much over time.
- Yeah, yeah, I know I said we wouldn’t have to surrender to kale and what not, but another simple way to get on track to a healthier life would be to keep healthy options available to yourself. Just keeping things around your kitchen like a bag of apples, a bunch of bananas, baby carrots, veggie chips, or granola (made with good ingredients a.k.a no high fructose corn syrup or candy pieces) will give you better options to the other yummy stuff you probably would have picked otherwise (such as cookies or chips).
- If you are not in a rush, park farther away in parking lots. If you really do have to get going and have to grab one thing, go ahead and park close. But if you have the time, do the extra bit of walking to whatever building you are at.
- Lemon water has been a go to drink for me for a few months now. It helps with your immune system, enzymes, metabolism, repair your body’s systems so they are working their best. I personally use a lot of lemon juice but you may want to start with a lower amount and work your way up as you get used to it. Its basically sweetener free lemonade. I do, however, suggest using a straw to protect the enamel on your teeth. But who doesn’t like straws??? I like this mason jar lid/straw combo! Its super cute, and I use it every day!
- At the beginning of the week just jot down possible meal ideas that you could eat during the week. This will take the guess work out of grocery shopping and also keep you from having to resort to fast food or skipping meals altogether because you don’t have time to dream something up for lunch.
- So…you’re a complete boss lady and “me time” doesn’t really happen often because ummm hello? You’re a little too busy kicking ass at everything in life! For me, I find taking a bath before bed with a bath bomb helps me relax, unwind, fall asleep, stay asleep, and wake up feeling more rested, refreshed, and ready to kick ass the next morning. I like to set a 30 minute timer, so i actually stay in and get all that detox/aromatherapy goodness from the bath bomb.
- If you’re like me you can’t just put 30 minutes to an hour aside every day to work out and stay fit. So I just go for a walk around the neighborhood every once in a while to make sure I don’t get so out of shape that I get winded going up the stairs at work.
- Drink more herbal tea! This is probably one of my favorite easy ways to get healthier. There are so many reasons to drink some hot herbal tea with a spoonful of honey. Here are some of my favorites: Lemon Ginger– I like to drink this when I am coming down with something or just don’t feel good. The lemon-ginger combo is a powerful duo when it comes to fighting bacterial infections. Chamomile– I like to drink this when I am having a lot of anxiety or just a really stressful day. I have tried so many things and chamomile tea is the only thing that has helped me to chill out. Green Tea– Sometimes my tummy is just too sensitive for cup after cup of coffee so green tea is my go to when I need a pick me up. Its provides antioxidants and helps with things like brain function and fat loss.
- Eating before bed! So this one is kinda crazy. Turns out i’ve been lied to my whole life about eating before bed! My grandmother used to say, “Wow, you’re eating this close to bedtime? Don’t you know that’s going to sit on you all night and make you gain weight?” Or when you look up how to lose weight many websites will tell you not to eat within a certain amount of time before going to bed. But in reality when you skip the bedtime snack, your blood sugar crashes shortly after you fall asleep, and you don’t sleep well and pack on the pounds.
- Invest in a diffuser and some essential oils. At one point I was drinking coffee to wake up, taking a pill to stay awake and focused. By bedtime I would still be so wired that I would have to take another pill to be able to fall asleep and stay asleep. I eventually bought a diffuser for my fiance’s stuffy nose at night, but began to slowly replace my pills and y’all…Y’ALL! I started feeling so much better than I used too! In the mornings I like to use an orange and peppermint combo to get me feeling energized. It runs out after a while and i have to refill it so it lasts all day. Then I like to bring my diffuser in the bedroom and use a blend called breathe. It helps my fiance with his allergies so his nose isn’t completely stuffed while he tries to fall asleep. Or if he’s not having a bad allergies day, I will use lavender to help us destress, and get a more restful sleep.
What simple tricks do you use to stay healthy?